Aaron T. Slater
Working onsite with a major fast-food company in Irvine, California to modernize and upgrade internet and network connectivity and centralized management at over 6,500 U.S. stores.
• Built on work experience to obtain Fortinet NSE 1, 2, 3, & 4 certification and Cisco Meraki CMNA certification.
• Successfully coordinated the replacement of more than 6,500 paired Cisco firewalls with managed and unmanaged switches of various brands, and 12,000 Mojo AirTight Wireless Access Points with a modern, fully centrally managed solution seamlessly integrating Fortinet next-gen firewalls, Meraki Access Points, and Aruba switches in 50 states.
• Designed and fortified network architecture variations to support combinations of cable, DSL, satellite, and 4G internet connectivity to provide resiliency of store connectivity to the internet and corporate networks.
• Built redundant datacenters across six geographic regions in the United States, providing circuit and geographic cross-redundancy to meet 99.95% uptime requirements for the customer.
• Provided skilled experience in best practices for Managed Service Providers for PCI and Customer Expectations, improving overall service delivery to the customer.
• Worked directly with satellite internet provider to develop first-of-its-kind method to segregate critical from non-critical traffic across a single satellite dish and modem for billing, analytic, and prioritization of data.
• Developed a standard process with detailed written and video training documentation for multiple support scenarios for Comcast Business to effectively support large enterprise clients, a first for Comcast Business.
• Effectively trained other senior Network Engineers to support the customer's architecture and pass down knowledge to frontline agents.
Provided executive-level leadership while continuously ensuring informational security within the company as well as for civilian and government customers.
• Guide physical and network security assessments and enhancements for eight sites across three companies in the US, UK, and Mexico.
• Consistently drive due diligence for potential acquisitions; successfully assessed contracted services and achieved complete network integration.
• Impressively coordinated the replacement of 73 Juniper firewalls with modern Fortinet next-gen firewalls in 13 countries.
• Reliable key player in 24x7 on-call rotations; planned, organized, trained, equipped, evaluated, and took corrective action in responding to possible or emergent threats.
• Created, communicated, and seamlessly implemented: a new NIST compliant datacenter, transition of primary internet circuit for 36 sites, in-house secure two- factor SSL VPN solutions, and an enhanced data collection suite that significantly improved collection accuracy and malware identification.
• Effectively and efficiently managed a F5 Silverline cloud-based Web Application Firewall and a cloud-based Proofpoint email security scanner; reduced vulnerability and enhanced defenses.
• Senior Security Operations team member; responded 24x7 to all cyber security threats.
• Enhanced data collection capabilities; improved the ability to identify various malware types and other indicators of compromise.
• Comprehensively assessed security for several major acquisition and merger sites on a global scale.
Highly successful tenure at this Fortune 100 company meeting and exceeding all information security expectations for 20k employees across 37 countries worldwide.
• Developed and implemented safety and security measures that protected all systems, networks, and data.
• Utilized expert ability to protect an organization's data and information from attacks.
• Achieved network integration for five company acquisitions from initial due diligence studies through to complete acquisition.
• Increased security, efficiency, and user-friendliness of Mobile Device Management installations while tailoring to meet the needs of each user's personal device.
• Prevented data loss and service interruptions by staying up to date on the newest technologies in order to successfully guard all networks.
Upheld the Navy's Core Values of honor, courage, and commitment.
Senior Information Security Specialist, 2011-2012
• Maintained the integrity of everyday communications; safeguarded top-secret data, networks, and systems.
• Ensured the viability of essential communication links for over 200 commands.
• Developed fleet-wide training for education of more than 130,000 sailors in the Pacific Fleet
Computer Network Defense Analyst, 2008-2011
• Proactively pinpointed vulnerabilities and created new solutions in order to combat cyber threats.
• Created tools, policies, and procedures that kept two fleets secure from outside intrusions.
• Utilized expertise in: HTTP/S, NTP , DHCP , DNS, SSL/TLS, SMTP , and LDAP .
Flag Admin Support, 2007-2008
Submarine Radioman, 2003-2007
• NSE 4 - Network Security Professional | Fortinet
• NSE 1, NSE 2, NSE 3 - Network Security Associate | Fortinet
• Certified Meraki Network Associate (CMNA) | Cisco
• Security+ | CompTIA
• Network+ | CompTIA
Intermediate Digital Network Analysis
Naval Center For Information Dominance | Pensacola, FL
Basic Digital Network Analysis
Naval Center For Information Dominance | Pensacola, FL
Enlisted Submarine School
Naval Submarine Base | Groton, CT
Aaron exemplifies what it means to be a Senior Security Analyst. He is an expert in many key areas with significant proficiency in Fortinet and Symantec security technologies. [At Meggitt PLC,] Aaron was the technical lead (SME) for the design and implementation of a Fortinet VPN solution and really refined the product implementation to meet a multitude of requirements both from a security and an operational perspective. He led a large global firewall replacement project which encompassed the replacement of legacy technologies with next generation capabilities. He also helped drive the standardization of the malware protection platform across the IT infrastructure. He developed and delivered multiple training sessions for several different IT teams relating to secure VPN, incident response, and email threats (SPAM, Phishing, etc.). Aaron led security assessments and direct integrations for multiple mergers and acquisitions. He mentored and shared his knowledge with fellow security team members on a regular basis which helped the team mature their expertise relating to security technologies, incident response, and overall information security process and procedures. Aaron is a seasoned information security professional and a true colleague to those who have worked with him. He delivers consistent day to day operations as well as continuous improvement with an impressive work ethic and a proactive attitude. - Brian Schroeder | Director, Information Assurance | Entertainment Partners
Aaron worked in our Global Security Operations team for 2 years [at Ingram Micro] and was an outstanding technical resource for reviewing events and incident response, Aaron worked very well in the team and was able to deliver new security programs to address mobile security using MDM and Network level security using UTM to a user based over of 20k employee's, I would not hesitate in recommending Aaron for technical or team lead role due to his ability to manage deployments Global Enterprise IT environments. - Bernard Hafey | Senior Vulnerability Management Engineer | SecureWorks
I was Aaron's divisional Chief while serving onboard the nuclear submarine USS Kentucky (SSBN 737) (Blue) when he first reported. The time I spent with him, I found him to be a very intelligent and a driven sailor. He adapted very well to his new surroundings with a great attitude. He quickly grasped the inner workings of a complex communications suite which involved many modems, sensitive cryptograph equipment, and computer based programs for configuring circuits needed to ensure national security in the short time I was his supervisor. For any position Aaron is applying for, you will get a very good and knowledgeable asset as well as a supportive team member. - John Manogue | Ship Superintendent | Portsmouth Naval Shipyard